Your ‘default PDF application’ is the program that your computer will use, by default, to open PDF files.
You may have several different PDF programs on your computer, but you can only have one default PDF program.
When you set the default PDF application you are telling your computer: “When I click to open a PDF file, open it in this program unless I tell you different.”
- On the Start menu, select Settings > Apps > Default apps.
- Scroll down the page and select Choose default applications by file type.
- The next page may take a few moments to load. This is normal.
- When the page is loaded, scroll down the list (there is an alphabetised list on the left hand side) until you find .pdf.
- Click on the application that is on the same row as .pdf.
- Select the default program you wish to use for PDF files.
- Select Start > Settings > Apps > Default Apps.
- To change the default app, you can do either of the following:
- Set a default for a file type or link type: In the search bar, enter the file type you want (.pdf), then select it from the list of results. You can choose which app can open that file type.
- Set defaults for applications: Select an app to see what file types it can open. If you want to change something, select the file type and then choose your preferred app.
Mac OS (Apple)
- Right-click on a PDF file.
- Click on Get Info in the pop-up.
- Click Open With if the section isn’t already expanded.
- Click the drop-down menu.
- Click the app you want to use.
- Click Change All…
- Click Continue when the Finder asks you if you’re sure.